June is National Fresh Fruit and Vegetables month, so I’ve been thinking about some of my favorite fruits and vegetables. I grew up in a rural area, and my mom always planted a big garden. Although I didn’t enjoy weeding the garden, I loved seeing new plants pop up out of the ground, watching for blossoms to appear, and finally, harvesting the delicious produce. I always looked forward to June, when the strawberries would get ripe. This Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing is a great way to enjoy fresh strawberries.
Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1 bunch romaine, torn
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 cups halved fresh strawberries
- CREAMY POPPY SEED DRESSING:
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon sour cream
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poppy seeds
- In a small heavy skillet over medium-low heat, cook and stir the sugar until melted and caramel in color, about 10 minutes. Stir in almonds until coated. Spread on foil to cool; break into small pieces.
- In a large bowl, combine the romaine, onion and strawberries. Combine the dressing ingredients; drizzle over salad and toss to coat. Sprinkle with coated almonds. Yield: 10 servings.
Corn ‘n’ Black Bean Salsa
- 2 cans (15-1/4 ounces each) whole kernel corn, drained
- 2 cans (15 ounces each) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 8 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 3/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 4 jalapeno peppers, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tortilla chips
- In a very large bowl, combine the first eight ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Serve with tortilla chips. Yield: 11 cups.