Once the weather starts to cool down I always think of my slow cooker. I actually have three slow cookers in different sizes, so if I wanted to I could create more than one recipe at a time. I could make a whole meal or freeze the food for another day.
I found two recipes that look like they would be great to have one at a time or all together. My husband loves brisket and I think he will love this recipe. It is different from what he is use to, but it looks like it will be delicious; add a salad and a potato and you have a meal. End the meal with a sweet Nutty Apple Streusel Dessert.
So whether you have a busy day ahead of you or just want to have dinner made ahead of time get out the slow cookers. There’s nothing like the aroma of food simmering in your house all day or coming home to a warm house with a warm meal already prepared.
- 1 fresh beef brisket (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Cut brisket in half; place in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Add mushrooms and
- bay leaves. Combine the tomatoes, onion, brown sugar, vinegar and
- ketchup; pour over beef. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or
- until meat is tender.
- Remove beef and keep warm. Discard bay leaves. In a large saucepan,
- combine cornstarch and water until smooth. Gradually stir in cooking
- liquid. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until
- thickened. Slice meat across the grain; serve with gravy. Yield:
- 6-8 servings.
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1-1/4 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3/4 cup 2% milk
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup Bisquick® mix
- 1 cup Bisquick® mix
- 1/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons cold butter
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds
- Ice cream or whipped cream, optional
- In a large bowl, toss apples with cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg.
- Place in a greased 3-qt. slow cooker. In a small bowl, combine the
- milk, butter, sugar, eggs, vanilla and baking mix. Spoon over
- For topping, combine biscuit mix and brown sugar in a large bowl; cut
- in butter until crumbly. Add almonds; sprinkle over apples.
- Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until the apples are tender.
- Serve with ice cream or whipped cream if desired. Yield: 6-8