When the temperature outside in registering 100+ during July and August I am on a mission to find interesting ways to prepare meals that are light and won’t heat up the kitchen. The grill is a great place to start but the slow cooker is also great for summer meals. We generally think about cooking burgers, steaks and a variety of fish and proteins on the grill but veggies can also rock the grill to for a quick side solution.
This grilled veggie combo just screams summer with the zucchini, corn and fresh herbs. This is a gardener’s delight and with the local farmers markets it just doesn’t get much fresher than this easy recipe.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3 large ears fresh corn on the cob, cut into 3-inch pieces
- 2 medium zucchini, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 medium sweet onion, sliced
- 1 large green pepper, diced
- 10 cherry tomatoes
- 1 jar (4-1/2 ounces) whole mushrooms, drained
- 1/4 cup butter
- In a large bowl, combine the oil, salt, parsley and basil. Add
- vegetables and toss to coat. Place on a double thickness of
- heavy-duty foil (about 28 in. x 18 in.). Dot with butter. Fold foil
- around vegetables and seal tightly.
- Grill, covered, over medium heat for 20-25 minutes or until corn is
- tender, turning once. Open carefully to allow steam to escape.
- Yield: 8 servings.
One of our favorite slow cooker meals during the lazy summer months is this summer soup. It is packed with a bounty of summer produce, yet is light and easy. We like to add leftover sausage, steak or chicken to the mix for a little extra depth of flavor.
Summer’s Bounty Soup
- 4 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2 cups halved fresh green beans
- 2 small zucchini, cubed
- 1 medium yellow summer squash, cubed
- 4 small carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 celery ribs, thinly sliced
- 1 cup cubed peeled eggplant
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon salt-free garlic and herb seasoning
- 4 cups reduced-sodium V8 juice
- Combine all ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cook, covered, on low
- 7-8 hours or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 14 servings (about
- 3-1/2 quarts).