One of my favorite things to do with my friends and family is camp! Of course, we are all spectacular cooks, but I absolutely rule when it comes to cooking outside!
This first camping trip, I grilled a pork shoulder, roasted some sweet and spicy peppers and onions, and voila’, a delicious Pork Verde’.
There were plenty of second helpings, but absolutely no leftovers!
Gather up your tent and your iron kettles, and try making this delicious Taste of Home recipe out on the open fire!
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 to 4 pounds)
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 can (10 ounces) green enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- Hot cooked rice
- Place carrots in a 5-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place in
- slow cooker. Add the beans, enchilada sauce and cilantro. Cover and
- cook on low for 4-1/2 to 5 hours or until a meat thermometer reads
- 160°. Remove roast to a serving platter; keep warm.
- Skim fat from cooking juices. Transfer the cooking liquid, carrots
- and beans to a small saucepan. Bring to a boil. Combine cornstarch
- and water until smooth. Gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a
- boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with
- meat and rice. Yield: 8 servings.