On those days when I come home to a house full of hungry people and no plan for dinner my favorite go-to recipe is Stromboli! There are so many ways to adapt this recipe to Individual tastes and it is a sure fire way to have dinner on the table in a flash.
- 1 tube (11 ounces) refrigerated crusty French loaf
- 3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 pound each thinly sliced deli salami and ham
- 1/4 cup chopped roasted red peppers or 1 jar (2 ounces) pimientos, drained
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 2 tablespoons shredded Parmesan cheese
- Unroll the dough and pat into a 14-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Sprinkle
- with mozzarella and cheddar cheese to within 1/2 in. of edges; top
- with meat and red peppers. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a
- short side; seal seam and tuck ends under.
- Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet. Brush with butter;
- sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or
- until golden brown. Slice with a serrated knife. Yield: 4 servings.
Use your favorite lunch meats and cheeses to make individual Stromboli’s, crescent rolls or refrigerated pizza crust work well and make for a portable meal on those busy evenings. Add some carrots sticks and celery and dinner is done.
For a special after dinner treat “cowboy up” to these crunchy favorites.
- 1 cup flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups old-fashioned oats
- 2 cups (12 ounces) chocolate chips
- Place coconut and pecans on a 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan.
- Bake at 350° for 6 to 8 minutes or until toasted, stirring every
- 2 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add
- eggs and vanilla; beat well. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt
- Add to creamed mixture; beat well. Stir in the oats, chocolate chips
- and toasted coconut and pecans.
- Drop by rounded teaspoonfuls onto greased baking sheets. Bake at
- 350° for about 12 minutes or until browned. Remove to wire racks
- to cool.
- Yield: 6 dozen.