Let’s face it; we probably have all been there. You have people coming for dinner or lunch and one or more guest arriving are vegetarians! What do you do? Many people over think this process, but it is really quite simple, just have a few recipes in you repertoire that you can go to just for this occasion. Most of us do, such as eggplant parmesan, pasta & marinara sauce or grilled cheese & tomato soup. Tacos, burritos and stir fry’s are also easy recipes to prepare without adding meat, just make sure to read labels such as refried beans; as they can contain lard.
If someone is coming to visit for an extended time who fill your house with lots of fruit and veggies and check at your grocery store for vegetarian items. Hum? Sound’s like thing we eat every day, or should be.
Here are a few more vegetarian options you can add to your recipe collection, everyone will enjoy them, and if there is someone in the crowd that would like some meat added to the meal, through a piece of grilled chicken on top!
Asian Meatless Wraps
- 4 frozen vegetarian chicken patties
- 1 cup coleslaw mix
- 1/3 cup Asian toasted sesame salad dressing
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches), warmed
- 1/2 cup chow mein noodles
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds
- Microwave patties according to package directions. Meanwhile, combine
- coleslaw mix and dressing; set aside.
- Cut patties in half; place two halves off center on each tortilla.
- Top with 3 tablespoon coleslaw mixture, 2 tablespoons chow mein
- noodles and 1 tablespoon almonds. Fold sides and ends over filling
- and roll up.
- Yield: 4 servings.
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 6 tablespoons panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup finely chopped sweet red pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon plus 4 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon minced chipotle pepper in adobo sauce
- 1-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 2-1/4 cups coleslaw mix
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, mash beans. Add the panko, onion, red pepper,
- cilantro, egg whites, garlic and salt; mix well. Shape bean mixture
- into four patties; refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, 1 tablespoon oil,
- chipotle pepper and sugar; stir in coleslaw mix and onions. Chill
- until serving.
- In a large nonstick skillet, cook burgers in remaining oil over
- medium heat for 3-5 minutes on each side or until a thermometer
- reads 160°. Serve on buns with slaw. Yield: 4 servings.