I think I mentioned this in a previous blog; I love shrimp. So today I get to celebrate National Shrimp Day! Of course I don’t need a day to celebrate shrimp, but if I must, I must. Here are two great recipes for the summer fare, an easy grilling recipe that won’t take much time at all and a refreshing chilled soup.
If you decide to prepare the shrimp blitz soup you could substitute a larger shrimp for the salad shrimp as this will give it a better flavor, just cut in bite size pieces. And remember when you grill or cook your shrimp to cook until they are opaque, don’t overcook or they will become rubbery and tough.
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) Italian salad dressing
- 1 cup honey
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 pounds uncooked medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- In a small bowl, combine the salad dressing, honey and garlic; set
- aside 1/2 cup. Pour remaining marinade into a large resealable
- plastic bag; add the shrimp. Seal bag and turn to coat; refrigerate
- for 30 minutes. Cover and refrigerate reserved marinade for basting.
- Drain and discard marinade. Thread shrimp onto eight metal or soaked
- wooden skewers. Moisten a paper towel with cooking oil; using
- long-handled tongs, rub on grill rack to coat lightly.
- Grill, uncovered, over medium heat or broil 4 in. from the heat for 1
- to 1-1/2 minutes on each side. Baste with reserved marinade. Grill
- or broil 3-4 minutes longer or until shrimp turn pink, turning and
- basting frequently. Yield: 8 servings.
- 1 bottle (8 ounces) clam juice
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1 bottle (32 ounces) tomato juice
- 1 package (5 ounces) frozen cooked salad shrimp, thawed
- 1 medium ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber
- 1/3 cup chopped green onions
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon dill weed
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- In a blender, combine clam juice and cream cheese; cover and process
- until smooth. Pour into a large serving bowl. Stir in the remaining
- ingredients. Cover and chill for at least 4 hours. Yield: 8 servings
- (2 quarts).