When I’m short on time, but need a dessert for a party or family gathering, I like to make a trifle. Trifle recipes can be put together relatively quickly if you use store-bought cake. If you have the time, feel free to make your favorite cake or brownie, depending on the flavor and texture you’re going for. In this Strawberry Trifle recipe, store bought angel food cake and instant pudding help to speed things up. You could even use about 4 cups of whipped topping instead of whipping cream, if you’re really in a hurry.
- 1 cup cold milk
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 8 cups cubed angel food cake
- 4 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- In a large bowl, beat the milk, sour cream, pudding mix and orange peel on low speed until thickened. Fold in whipped cream.
- Place half of the cake cubes in a 3-qt. glass bowl. Arrange a third of the strawberries around sides of bowl and over cake; top with half of the pudding mixture. Repeat layers once. Top with remaining berries. Refrigerate for 2 hours before serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
The most time consuming part of this recipe is probably the slicing of the strawberries. But, for a “gadget girl” like myself, I have the perfect solution. It’s the Strawberry Slicester! It’s easy to use, and dishwasher safe. If you’re a master with your knife skills, then you’ll probably be just fine without the Slicester, but I enjoy finding and trying out new gadgets like these. You can purchase it online here: http://www.amazon.com/Chefn-Strawberry-Slicester-Hand-Held-Slicer/dp/B002XOHZYU