I’m a big fan of salads, especially those that use seasonal ingredients. I often enjoy making salads for dinner, and will often add grilled chicken or salmon to one of my favorite side salads, like this Asparagus Berry Salad or Smoked Gouda & Raspberry Salads. Or, you can serve them with chicken, steak, salmon or your favorite spring pasta dinner. Either way you make them, whether for a side dish or entrée, they’re delicious!
Asparagus Berry Salad
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 tablespoons Daily Chef 100% Pure Olive Oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 8 cups spring mix salad greens
- 3 cups sliced fresh strawberries
- 1/2 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- In a large bowl, toss the asparagus with 1 tablespoon oil. Spread in a greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pan. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake at 400° for 15-20 minutes or until tender.
- In a large salad bowl, toss the greens, strawberries, onion, walnuts and asparagus. In a small bowl, whisk the vinegar, sugar and remaining oil. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Smoked Gouda & Raspberry Salads
- 1/4 cup champagne vinegar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries, divided
- 1 package (5 ounces) spring mix salad greens
- 4 ounces Gouda cheese, shaved
- 1/3 cup Brazil nuts, chopped and toasted
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- Place the vinegar, sugar, salt and 1/4 cup raspberries in a food processor; cover and process until pureed.
- Divide salad greens among eight salad plates; top with cheese, nuts, shallots and remaining raspberries. Drizzle with dressing. Yield: 8 servings.