Not only is today Abraham Lincoln’s birthday, but it’s also my little brother’s birthday. When doing some research about Abraham Lincoln’s favorite foods, I discovered that he loved honey! My little brother is a work out guru, and like Abraham Lincoln, thin as a rail (get it?). However, when it comes to his birthday meal, he’s allowed to eat whatever he wants. Here’s what we will have in honor of both, great men’s birthdays!
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 cup dry bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon plus 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard, divided
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness. In a shallow bowl, combine
- bread crumbs and 1 teaspoon of mustard. In another shallow bowl,
- combine honey and remaining mustard. Dip chicken in honey-mustard
- mixture, then coat with crumbs.
- In a nonstick skillet, cook chicken over medium heat in butter for
- 4-6 minutes on each side or until chicken juices run clear. Yield: 4
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2-1/4 to 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- Additional melted butter
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Stir in the butter, honey,
- egg, whole wheat flour, oats, salt and 1 cup of all-purpose flour;
- beat until smooth. Add enough remaining all-purpose flour to form a
- soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead dough until smooth and elastic,
- about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease
- top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Shape into 15 rolls. Place in a greased 13-in. x
- 9-in. baking pan. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45
- Bake at 375° for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Brush with butter. Yield: 15 rolls.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 each) equals 149 calories, 4 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 194 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.