Today is National Peanut Butter Day! I love peanut butter, and enjoy finding new recipes that use it, outside of peanut butter cookies. I want to take this opportunity to share a couple of slow cooker recipes that use peanut butter, so that you can celebrate Peanut Butter Day without spending a lot of time in the kitchen!
I’m a big fan of Thai food, and this Thai-Style Peanut Pork recipe is a great way to enjoy those delicious flavors without having to worry about spending a lot of time in the kitchen.
Thai-Style Peanut Pork
- 2 medium sweet red peppers, julienned
- 1 boneless pork shoulder butt roast (3 pounds)
- 1/3 cup reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup creamy peanut butter
- 4 cups hot cooked rice
- 1/2 cup chopped unsalted peanuts
- 4 green onions, sliced
- Place peppers in a 3-qt. slow cooker. Cut roast in half; place on top of peppers. Combine the teriyaki sauce, vinegar and garlic; pour over roast. Sprinkle with pepper flakes. Cover and cook on low for 8-9 hours or until meat is tender.
- Remove meat from slow cooker. When cool enough to handle, shred meat with two forks. Reserve 2 cups cooking juices; skim fat. Stir peanut butter into reserved juices.
- Return pork and cooking juices to slow cooker; heat through. Serve with rice; sprinkle with peanuts and green onions.
- Yield: 8 servings.
- Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup pork mixture with 1/2 cup rice equals 405 calories, 19 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 313 mg sodium, 31 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 27 g protein.
Now, what about dessert? If you already have plans for dinner, try this delicious slow cooker dessert, Elvis’ Pudding Cake Recipe. You can’t go wrong with peanut butter and bananas!
Elvis’ Pudding Cake
- 3 cups cold 2% milk
- 1 package (3.4 ounces) instant banana cream pudding mix
- 1 package banana cake mix (regular size)
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 2 cups peanut butter chips
- 1 cup chopped dried banana chips
- In a small bowl, whisk milk and pudding mix for 2 minutes. Let stand for 2 minutes or until soft-set. Transfer to a greased 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Prepare cake mix batter according to package directions, adding peanut butter before mixing. Pour over pudding. Cover and cook on low for 3 to 3-1/2 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out with moist crumbs.
- Sprinkle with peanut butter chips; cover and let stand for 15-20 minutes or until partially melted. Top with banana chips. Yield: 12 servings.