Here’s another diabetic friendly dinner! Baked Mostaccioli is a delicious and healthy Italian dish perfect for those who adhere to a diabetic diet! Try Taste of Home’s for your Wednesday Dinner!
- Prep: 35 min. Bake: 30 min. Yield: 6 Servings
- 8 ounces uncooked mostaccioli
- 1/2 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups (16 ounces) fat-free cottage cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Cook mostaccioli according to package directions. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, cook turkey and onion over medium heat until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary.
- Stir in the tomatoes, tomato paste, water, oregano, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine cottage cheese and marjoram; set aside. Drain mostaccioli.
- Spread 1/2 cup meat sauce into an 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Layer with half of the mostaccioli, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Top with cottage cheese mixture. Layer with remaining mostaccioli, meat sauce and mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese (dish will be full).
- Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts 1-1/3 cups equals 278 calories, 7 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 39 mg cholesterol, 607 mg sodium, 32 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 23 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 medium-fat meat, 2 vegetable, 1-1/2 starch.