Caramel Apples are the perfect fall treat, especially for a Halloween party. There is no “trick” to making them, and with a little creativity, each apple easily becomes a masterpiece! Check out this recipe to get your mouth watering and creative juices flowing.
- 1 package (11-1/2 ounces) milk chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 2 packages (14 ounces each) caramels
- 1/4 cup water
- 8 large tart apples, room temperature
- 8 Popsicle sticks
- 3 to 4 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), coarsely crushed
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir
- until smooth and set aside. In another microwave-safe bowl,
- microwave the caramels and water, uncovered, on high for 1 minute;
- stir. Heat 30-45 seconds longer or until caramels are melted; stir
- until smooth.
- Line a baking sheet with waxed paper and grease the paper; set aside.
- Wash and thoroughly dry apples. Insert a Popsicle stick into each;
- dip into caramel mixture, turning to coat. Place on prepared pan.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate. Sprinkle with crushed candy bars.
- Refrigerate until set. Remove from the refrigerator 5 minutes before
- serving; cut into wedges. Yield: 8 servings.
The recipe is quick to make and is always a hit at potluck gatherings and it is an easy cake to personalize for just about any holiday or event.
- 1 package fudge marble cake mix (regular size)
- 2 packages (3 ounces each) orange gelatin
- 1 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 12 to 15 candy pumpkins
- Prepare and bake cake according to package directions, using a
- greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour.
- In a small bowl, dissolve gelatin in boiling water; stir in cold
- water. With a meat fork or wooden skewer, poke holes in cake about 2
- in. apart. Slowly pour gelatin over cake. Refrigerate for 2-3 hours.
- For frosting, in a small bowl, cream butter until fluffy. Beat in the
- confectioners’ sugar, cocoa, milk and vanilla until smooth. Spread
- over cake; top with candy pumpkins. Cover and refrigerate until
- serving. Yield: 12-15 servings.