The process of developing menus for restaurants, television and cookbooks over the last 25 years was daunting and exhausting to say the least. Trying to stay on course with customers likes and dislikes, following seasonal cues and budgetary constraints is mind-bending at best. That all being said nothing compares to launching the lunch box of a brand new 5th grader. There is no pickier customer than a 10 year old girl starting her first day of middle school.
Sure, we have done the crustless PB and J’s, favorite fried chicken leftovers, seasonal fruits, cheese sticks etc. Yet, I’m always on the look out to create a meal that gives our Tay something that will keep her happy, satisfied and all the nutrients and vitamins a child needs to get though the day.
Soups have the opportunity to fill all those needs and visits one of my fondest memories, buying the back to school thermos. After some serious searching thorough boxes upon boxes from my childhood I found one of my ancient grade school thermos’ amid all those memories.
Soups are the perfect vehicle to get all the basic proteins and vegetables into your child in a one pot kitchen adventure. This Chicken Alphabet Soup and Mac “N” Cheese Soup from the TOH culinary archives are family favorites Please don’t limit yourself to just a recipe take your favorite ingredients and bring them together for your next family favorite.
3 medium carrots, chopped
2 celery ribs, chopped
3/4 cup chopped sweet onion
1 tablespoon olive oil
2 quarts chicken broth
3 cups cubed cooked chicken breast
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1-1/2 cups uncooked alphabet pasta
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
In a Dutch oven, saute the carrots, celery and onion in oil until
tender. Stir in the broth, chicken and thyme. Bring to a boil. Stir
in pasta. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until
pasta is tender. Stir in parsley
- 1 package (14 ounces) deluxe macaroni and cheese dinner mix
- 9 cups water, divided
- 1 cup fresh broccoli florets
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped onion
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed cheddar cheese soup, undiluted
- 2-1/2 cups 2% milk
- 1 cup chopped fully cooked ham
- Set aside cheese sauce packet from macaroni and cheese mix. In a
- large saucepan, bring 8 cups water to a boil. Add macaroni; cook for
- 8-10 minutes or until tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, bring remaining water to a
- boil. Add broccoli and onion; cook, uncovered, for 3 minutes. Stir
- in the soup, milk, ham and contents of cheese sauce packet; heat
- through. Drain macaroni; stir into soup. Yield: 8 servings (2