What makes Ohio, Ohio? Buckeyes of course!
You can’t live in Ohio and not have candied buckeyes for the holidays; named for their resemblance to the nut of the buckeye tree. The buckeye tree is a symbol of Ohio and best known for The Ohio State University team mascot. All true Ohioan’s cookie trays would not be complete without these delicious sweet treats.
This Buckeye recipe from Recipes Across America is perfect, with all of the scrumptious peanut butter filling and melted chocolate coating. Just remember to leave a little of the peanut butter showing to make it official!
- 5-1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 1-2/3 cups peanut butter
- 1 cup butter, melted
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon shortening
- In a large bowl, beat the sugar, peanut butter and butter until
- smooth. Shape into 1-in. balls; set aside.
- In a microwave, melt chocolate chips and shortening; stir until
- smooth. Dip balls in chocolate, allowing excess to drip off. Place
- on a wire rack over waxed paper; refrigerate for 15 minutes or until
- firm. Cover and store in the refrigerator. Yield: about 5-1/2 dozen.