What’s better than ice cream on a hot summer day? Homemade ice cream of course! There’s only one problem: you need an ice cream maker… Not today! Today, learn how to make ice cream without the expensive machine! All you need is a freezer and a little spare time to let your creation freeze.
1. Combine the ingredients for your mixture following the recipe. Chill the mixture over an ice bath. Meanwhile, freeze an empty freezer-safe shallow bowl or pan. Stainless steel works well for this.
2. Place the cold mixture into the cold pan.
3. Chill for about 20 minutes and check your ice cream. As the edges start to freeze, stir the mixture rapidly with a whisk or spatula to break up the partially frozen ice cream. This will help make it smooth and creamy. You cannot over-beat. Return to freezer.
4. Stir ice cream vigorously every 30 minutes until it is firmly frozen. This may be repeated 4 or 5 times until mixture is smooth and creamy. If ice cream becomes too hard, place it in the refrigerator until it becomes soft enough to beat. Then continue the process.
5. Ripen the ice cream by storing it in a covered freezer container until ready to serve.