The summer is just made for BBQ. We love to grill and smoke our favorite meats, beans and even veggies to add to our summer meals. A perfect side for savory grilled food is an array of melon. The plentiful variety of melons makes a colorful and refreshing addition to any meal. The Strawberry-Melon Fizz is a delightful summer beverage that is so refreshing and fun to make. The impressive sparking drink is a crowd pleaser that combines a refreshing drink with an edible fruit salad. Try this fun idea to add flair and fun to summer dining.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 5 fresh mint sprigs
- 1 quart fresh strawberries, halved
- 2 cups cubed honeydew
- 1-3/4 cups cubed cantaloupe
- Ginger ale or sparkling white grape juice
- In a large saucepan, combine the sugar, water and mint; bring to a boil. Boil and stir until a candy thermometer reads 240° (soft-ball stage). Remove from the heat; allow to cool. Discard mint.
- Combine strawberries and melon. Just before serving, fill tall glasses with fruit and drizzle with 1 tablespoon syrup. Add ginger ale to each. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Another perfect addition to summer meal preparation is a juicy piece of fresh corn on the cob that is cooked on the grill. No need to heat up the kitchen for this summer favorite and you’d never guess that Mayo is the secret ingredient in this Savory Grilled Corn.
- 1/2 cup Mayonnaise
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon dried minced onion
- 1/2 teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 medium ears sweet corn, silk and husks removed
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Spread over corn; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Wrap each ear of corn in a double thickness of heavy-duty foil. Grill, covered, over medium heat for 30-35 minutes or until corn is tender, turning occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.